Aim of the Volunteer Role
- To help refugee and migrants with CV-writing
- To help research job opportunities
- To help research educational opportunities – appropriate courses and educational establishments
- To assist with the general running of the project
Necessary Skills, Aptitudes and Knowledge
We believe a good Into Work/Education volunteer needs:
- An ability to speak clearly and confidently, adapting style to suit the needs of the person they are supporting
- Experience of writing CVs and job/educational applications
- Experience of seeking work
- A sensitivity to other cultures and an ability to communicate successfully across cultures
- An ability to build good rapport with vulnerable migrants and refugees
- Reliability, patience and flexibility
- Good local knowledge of North West London
- A commitment to equality & diversity and the rights of all individuals to respect and fair treatment
- Confidence to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries
Minimum commitment of 1 hour per month over a minimum of 3 months.
Support and supervision:
The volunteer will be managed by a member of the Salusbury World advice team and will be given regular supervision.
Induction and training:
An initial induction to Salusbury World and the project will be provided, including an exploration of the context of refugees and boundaries.
It is mandatory for all advice volunteers to undertake Safeguarding training.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Contribute to a project that really does make a difference to the lives of vulnerable refugees and migrants
- Travel expenses to and from the Salusbury World office and all genuine out-of-pocket expenses, are reimbursed.
- Full liability insurance cover.
- Appreciation events to recognise the important contribution that volunteers make
Salusbury World is an approachable and diverse organisation which values and respects peoples’ different backgrounds, characteristics, ideas and beliefs.
Salusbury World believes that it is essential to eliminate discrimination and promote equality of opportunity. Salusbury World is committed to opposing discrimination and will not discriminate against any person because of their ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, responsibility for children or dependants, age, employment status, disability, HIV status, religious or political beliefs or because of unrelated criminal convictions.