Aim of the Volunteer Role
- To promote a safe, healthy and caring environment in which the children express themselves freely
- To support children aged from 4 to 11, from countries such as Syria, Somalia, India, Romania, Afghanistan and Bulgaria with varying levels of English
- To help deliver arts and craft activities, games and sports activities to the children
- To help prepare in the preparation of activities including setting up the space and completing sample arts and crafts projects
- To supervise the children whilst they are participating in the activities
- To help tidy up at the end of the session
- To help prepare drinks and snacks
Necessary Skills, Aptitudes and Knowledge
We believe a good After School Club volunteer needs:
- A warm personality and a good sense of humour
- A sensitivity to other cultures and an ability to communicate successfully across cultures
- Reliability, patience and flexibility
- An ability to build good rapport with young people aged 4-11
- A commitment to equality & diversity and the rights of all individuals to respect and fair treatment
- Willingness and ability to share skills and knowledge with the children
- Confidence to establish and maintain appropriate boundaries
- A non-judgemental and supportive approach and belief in the potential of others.
- To report any observations, problems or difficulties with the children promptly to the Club Manager
- To attend brief team meetings when necessary
Minimum commitment of 2 hours per week (one session) for a minimum of one school term. Sessions take place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays in term time only, beginning at 3.10pm and ending at 5pm.
An enhanced DBS check to work with children will be required for this role.
Support and supervision:
The volunteer will be managed by an appropriate member of Salusbury World staff and be given regular supervision.
Induction and training:
An initial induction to Salusbury World and the project will be provided.
It is mandatory for all After School club volunteers to undertake Safeguarding training.
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Travel expenses to and from the school and all genuine out-of-pocket expenses, are reimbursed.
- Full liability insurance cover.
- There are appreciation events to recognise the important contribution that volunteers make
- Contribute to a project that really does make a difference to the lives of refugee and migrant children
Salusbury World is an approachable and diverse organisation which values and respects peoples’ different backgrounds, characteristics, ideas and beliefs.
Salusbury World believes that it is essential to eliminate discrimination and promote equality of opportunity. Salusbury World is committed to opposing discrimination and will not discriminate against any person because of their ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, responsibility for children or dependants, age, employment status, disability, HIV status, religious or political beliefs or because of unrelated criminal convictions.